I’ve always loved tomato soup–even from the can. I know. I will even admit it’s crazy. And yes, I have friends who shake their heads at the thought of it. But as a kid, I fell in love with canned tomato soup that was loaded with crushed saltine crackers to soak in all that juice. When I was sick, I didn’t want chicken soup like everyone else. I wanted the salty acidic flavor of the tomato soup. And I still like to keep a couple of cans of it in the pantry for when I get a strange craving for it, too.
My kids, however, do not share in my love of the canned variety. So I had to experiment and figure out a better way to serve it, so this tomato tortellini soup recipe is a bit more flavorful and the whole family loves it.
Here’s the thing. This recipe actually starts with two cans of the basic condensed tomato soup, but you’d never know it. It’s super delicious with all kinds of wonderful. And even better, it’s so easy to make. You just mix everything together and let it simmer on the stove. So here’s how I like to make mine.
Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup Recipe
2 cans condensed tomato soup, undiluted
2 cups of vegetable broth
2 cups of milk
2 cups of half and half
3/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, oil packed
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 pack frozen cheese tortellini
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
salt and pepper to taste
1. Combine first 8 ingredients in a large soup kettle and heat on medium heat, stirring frequently, until heated throughout.
2. Cook the tortellini according to package directions. Drain and add to the soup mixture.
3. Stir in the cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Top each serving with a generous sprinkling of more Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
Just a couple of notes about this one. First, I use skim milk because that’s what we drink around here, but you use what you have. And, if you don’t have sun-dried tomatoes, just use a can of diced tomatoes. That will work, too, in a pinch.
I also salt and pepper as I go, so just season and taste while the soup simmers to suit your family’s taste. Oh, and this is a soup, so it’s soupy. Just heat up some dinner rolls and use them for sopping up the leftovers, too.
This tomato tortellini soup recipe is only the beginning. It’s really amazing all the delicious meals you can create with just a couple of cans of condensed soup. What about you? What’s your favorite way to use an ordinary can of soup? Share your ideas with us!
Other Recipes You May Enjoy
- 2 cans condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 cups of half and half
- 3/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, oil packed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 pack frozen cheese tortellini
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a large soup kettle and heat on medium heat, stirring frequently, until heated throughout.
- Cook the tortellini according to package directions. Drain and add to the soup mixture.
- Stir in the cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
- Top each serving with a generous sprinkling of more Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!