Tater Tot Casserole Ground Beef: Need ideas for easy dinner casserole recipes? This Cheeseburger Casserole recipe is a comfort food classic.
Looking for a hearty dinner recipe that’s inexpensive and easy to make? This cheeseburger casserole is one of our family favorites. It’s one of those meals I like to use as a backup plan on those days when I have no idea what to cook for dinner. This one is always a hit because it’s hearty enough to satisfy my hungry boys with plenty of cheesy potatoes we all devour.
Tater Tot Casserole: Ground Beef
Through the years, I found lots of tater tot casseroles with ground beef and even other meat varieties. But for us, we like this one the best. And though I sometimes add a little Worcestershire sauce or sautéed onion for extra flavor, my family loves it either way.
When you are making a tater tot casserole with ground beef, make sure to use extra lean ground beef to keep it from being as greasy and double the meat–adding 2 lbs. of ground beef–to create a better balance between the meat and potatoes to give it a heartier taste, too.
2 lbs. extra lean ground beef
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 large bag of frozen tater tots
1 cup of grated cheddar cheese
1 cup of grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled
3-4 green onions, chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Press ground beef into the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish.
In separate bowl, mix mushroom soup with 1/2 can of water until smooth.
Pour evenly over the meat.
Add the cheese.
Spread tater tots evenly over the mixture to make a nice crusty top.
Secure with foil and bake for an hour.
Remove foil and bake for another 10 -15 minutes until tots are golden brown.
Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the bacon and onions. Enjoy!
One of the best sides to this meal is a buttered biscuit or warmed dinner roll. After all, what’s a cheeseburger casserole recipe without the bun? Think of it as the quick serve of a drive-thru meal mixed with the comforts of home.
This Cheeseburger Casserole Recipe is a comfort food favorite! Click To Tweet
Recipes Similar to Tater Tot Casserole Ground Beef
- 2 lbs. extra lean ground beef
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 large bag of frozen tater tots
- 1 cup of grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup of grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3-4 green onions, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Press ground beef into the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- In separate bowl, mix mushroom soup with 1/2 can of water until smooth.
- Pour evenly over the meat.
- Add the cheese.
- Spread tater tots evenly over the mixture to make a nice crusty top.
- Secure with foil and bake for an hour.
- Remove foil and bake for another 10 -15 minutes until tots are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the bacon and onions. Enjoy!
Who doesn’t love cheese and tater tots? This would be the perfect dish to make for my grands! Pinning!
Beef, potatoes, biscuits, and cheese?! Yes, Please! I’m going to have some happy kids:) Thank you so much for sharing this!
Mitzi Smith says
thanks, Andrea– and my kids love it, too 🙂
Crystal Green says
This looks really good. My husband would love it if I would make this for him and our daughter.They would be the two to gobble this up. Thank you for this idea.