As a mom on the go, I love casseroles for dinner. They’re quick, easy to throw in the oven, and can usually be created by using a few pantry items I already have on hand.
At the Smith house, poppy seed chicken is a go-to casserole favorite.
It’s hearty enough to feed our hungry crew and everyone loves its buttery crust and creamy combination.
Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole
Another reason I love this casserole is that it’s easy to make to your own liking. And over the years I’ve tried it several ways to experiment with different flavors, too.
So instead of using just the cream of chicken soup, I also include a can of mushroom. And I like to add some celery salt and Worcestershire sauce, reminding me of a lighter version of the dressing I serve at Thanksgiving–but I’ll save that one for another day.
Other Recipes You May Enjoy:
Butter Crusted Parmesan Pork Chops
- 5 cups chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups crushed Ritz crackers
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 Tablespoon poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large bowl, combine sour cream and both cans of soup until well blended.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, celery salt, and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Fold in cubed chicken and spoon into lightly greased 9 x 13 baking dish.
- In another bowl, combine melted butter, crackers, and poppy seeds.
- Cover the casserole with the cracker topping.
- Bake for 30 minutes to heat through and top is lightly browned.
Shirley Wood says
I love those family favorites! This sounds like a recipe my family would enjoy as well. I expect that ritz cracker crust is yummy! thanks for sharing with us at Merry Monday.
Tammy @ creativekkids says
This looks so good, and I love how easy it is to make it!
Wendy Watson says
I just posted my recipe for poppy seed chicken on my own blog a few days ago! I’ve just gotta try your version, looks delicious!! I love this dish so much– such comfort food!!
Mitzi Smith says
great minds think alike! and you’re right– it is a great choice for comfort food– I’ll hop over and check out your recipe, too 🙂
Crystal Green says
tHIS SOUNDS REALLY GOOD. thANK YOU FOR AN ADDED SUGGESTION TO ADD TO OUR DINNER MEAL PLANS. i’M SURE THE KIDS WOULD ENJOY THIS TASTY MEAL.